Looking Back into the Future
Reflecting on current local and international perspectives, how can institutions better support new models of moving image practices? How to foster appropriate skills and encourage production models for practitioners? Looking outward, how do we develop networks and exchanges that generate meaningful dialogue and sustainable engagement? How do cultures and regions perceived as being on the periphery of the art world affirm their own artistic and cinematic histories?
Presented by CIRCUIT Artist Film and Video Aotearoa New Zealand in association with Elam School of Fine Arts, National Institute of Creative Arts and Industries (NICAI), The University of Auckland, Looking Back into the Future was the first CIRCUIT symposium, with three days of screenings, discussion and an artists' workshop addressing issues of production, networks and value.
- Benjamin Cook, Director, LUX (UK)
- Dr May Adadol Ingawanij, curator of the 2012 Bangkok Experimental Film Festival (Thailand) and Senior Research Fellow, University of Westminster (UK)
- Richard MacDonald, Researcher, Goldsmiths University (UK)
- Alex Monteith, Artist and Senior Lecturer, Elam School of Fine Arts (Auckland)
- Michelle Menzies, Curator, Adam Art Gallery (Wellington)
- Sue Gardiner, Chartwell Trust (Auckland)
- John McCormack, Starkwhite Gallery (Auckland)
With the support of Creative New Zealand, The British Council and the Asia New Zealand Foundation.